What is the Container Control?
1-Stop’s Container Control allows shipping lines and road carriers (and any other party) to reduce the costs of handling containers through the following features:
- Triangulation - reuse empty import containers for existing export bookings
- Virtual Container Park (VCP) - also known as “staging”, you can request to hold on to MT import containers and store them for future exports
- Redirection - you can request to return MT import containers to a different depot than already specified
Background - History
There are typically 6 movements in a life cycle of a container. Whilst this process works, it is neither efficient or cost effective.
This process has high operational costs associated with it. These include fuel, fleet maintenance and insurance premiums. All levels of government are also impacted through infrastructure costs, which are always passed on to the taxpayer.
These movements also mean that the truck’s carbon emissions are multiplied by six for each container’s life cycle.
The supply chain industry (and the environment) could benefit from a more efficient process through Triangulation with the help of 1-Stop's Container Control System.
With Triangulation, the number of movements in the container's life cycle is reduced to four.
- Reduce operating costs for multiple areas of the freight and logistics industry
- Automate the current manual process and reduce phone calls for container redirections
- Decrease the amount of time trucks are on the road
- Cut carbon emissions. Each truck trip we save also means reduced road traffic and exhaust emissions.
- Relieve pressure at Empty Container Parks. No longer face capacity problems during peak periods.
Main Envisaged Business Benefits – Short Term
- 17% to 33% fewer container truck moves = reduced traffic congestion = reduced fuel and carbon emissions
- Reduced administration at Empty Parks
- Reduced storage costs
- Reduced capacity problems at Empty Parks during peak periods
- Reduced transport costs for Road Carriers
- Greater visibility and control of inventory
Main Envisaged Business Benefits – Long Term
- Reduced chances of heavy vehicle incidents = lower insurance premiums = lower health costs
- Reduction in frequency of road maintenance
- Cost savings for local and state governments
- Optimised businesses improving the efficiency of our imports and exports trade
Carbon Emissions Impact
- 1 truck = 180 grams of carbon per km
- Average truck move = 20 km
- Number of movements = 1.3 million a year
- 260,000 kgs carbon per annum
- VCP = 17% less truck moves
- 44,000 kgs carbon saved per annum
- Triangulation = 33% less truck moves
- 89,000 kgs carbon saved per annum